I was the guest author and wrote this post for the Latest-Hairstyles. Enjoy! -Lisa
Hey Mad Men fans! Looking for that icy blonde look? We’ve got just the Mad Men style for you!
Betty Draper Francis, whom we all know as January Jones, is the blonde we’re referring to. As Don Draper’s ex wife, this Grace Kelly look-a-like’s style has evolved from movie star to politician. She might have beauty, but she is known to be a “frosty” mommy. Viewers love to hate the cold, selfish Betty, but we can’t help but love her Alfred Hitchcock-influenced, icy blonde style. Here’s how to capture her elegant, timeless look.
- Apply a thickening lotion to damp hair. Work the product into the ends and mid shaft of your hair first. Try Kevin Murphy Full Again. This weightless lotion will make your hair feel thick while providing natural movement and body.
- Use a medium size round brush to create volume at the base as you blow dry.
- Set hair with hot rollers, spray with hairspray and let cool.
- After the curls have cooled, take out the rollers and brush hair with a natural bristle brush to smooth the top and sides.
- Betty’s hair is typically worn with a soft flip on the ends, but this look is more of a half up half down hairstyle. To pin your sides back, you can use bobby pins or a barrette.
- Finish and lock in the style with Kevin Murphy’s Session Spray. This strong hold spray provides a firm, weightless and lasting hold.
Sally Draper is the oldest child of Don and Betty Francis. She struggles with her parents’ divorce and tends to act out frustration. From refusing to eat her supper to calling Dad in the middle of the night and even cutting her own hair, Sally is a child who desperately wants to be an adult. This kid is not afraid to ask for what she wants and what she thinks she deserves. Those ladies in the “tween” ages want to look like Sally Draper. Here’s how to capture her “innocent” look.
- Start with Taming Spray by Paul Mitchell. This made especially for kids, ouch-free spray makes hair easier to comb through and detangle and even helps it to be more manageable. Spray the taming spray on damp hair and use a wide tooth comb to come through.
- Set dried hair with curlers and either sleep in them overnight, or set the hair the night before. This makes for an easier and quicker start in the morning for both kids and moms!
- Once you remove the curlers, gently brush through hair with a natural bristle brush like a Mason Pearson Brush.
- Brush the sides up into a small ponytail leaving the back down and smoothed under. Cover the elastic band with a bow or ribbon.
- Finish and set the style with your hairspray of choice.
Can’t get enough of these Mad Men-inspired hairstyles? Learn how to channel your inner Roger and Joan here.