I was the guest author and wrote this post for the Latest-Hairstyles. Enjoy! -Lisa
Hey you Mad Men followers! Want to look like a sophisticated gentlemen with a ‘silver fox’ appeal? What about a strong woman who knows what she wants and isn’t afraid to go after it? Well here are the hair secrets to look like all of the aforementioned, and like you just walked off Madison Avenue. Check it out!
Roger Sterling is THE silver fox on Mad Men. With his fitted suits and crisp collars, this partner at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce advertising agency is notorious for being a womanizer. He is one of the most admired characters on the show, and so many want to duplicate his conservative style.
Roger’s hair is fairly low maintenance. The cut is short around the ears and tapered on the neck and sides. The top is kept significantly longer so that it can be parted and combed back. I would recommend MENSDEPT Microtech to get Roger’s signature look. It has a medium to firm hold with a natural finish while adding shine, texture and definition as well. Apply the product to damp hair, then part and comb hair back using a fine tooth comb.
Formerly the Director of Agency Operations, Joan Harris is now a partner at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, but we all know her as the redheaded bombshell of course! Joan isn’t above using her sexuality and bombshell looks to get what she wants. So if you’re craving the whole Marilyn Monroe look, Joan has got it! If you have short to medium length hair, this style is great for you.
What You Need:
1-inch barrel curling iron or hot rollers
Mason Pearson brush
How to Style:
- Start by using a volumizing product like Redken Thickening Lotion #6 at the roots for extra body, texture and shine. Apply it on damp hair, then blow dry using a medium round brush for volume.
- Use your curling iron to set barrel curls over your entire head. Pin the curls with clips and let them cool. Once curls are cooled, brush them out using the Mason Pearson brush (or boar bristle brush).
- Beginning at the nape of the head, back comb the hair to make a base, then gently smooth the top over.
- Start rolling and tucking the hair on the nape into a French twist. Secure the twist by adding bobby pins as needed.
- Smooth the front, leave out some fringe and then smooth the sides back.
- Set the style with hairspray like Quick Dry #18 Hairspray from Redken. It is a medium hold spray that is good molding and shaping hair and it easy to brush through.
Now hold your head (and your hair) high as you take a walk down 5th Avenue with your Mad Men-inspired hairstyle! Craving more Mad Men style? Learn how to get Pete and Peggy’s iconic hair looks here.
[…] Can’t get enough of these Mad Men-inspired hairstyles? Learn how to channel your inner Roger and Joan here. […]